The wonderful Alan Titchmarsh, the nation’s favourite garden makeover expert, is coming back to our screens this summer with a brand new series of ITV’s Love Your Garden. Love your Garden is now coming up to its fifth season and in the last four years we’ve seen Alan, along with his experienced team, David Domoney, Katie Rushworth, Frances Tophill and a selection of talented landscapers, design and build top-quality (not bish bash bosh like some other garden makeover programmes), beautiful gardens for people who may have experienced tough times or who play a huge part in their local communities – people who deserve their dream garden. The Love your Garden cast work together to transform spaces of all shapes and sizes and overcome challenges, all whilst providing the viewers at home with top garden tips.
You may think you’ll be busy taking notes for your own garden makeover but you’ll also need some tissues at the ready as each episode never fails to tug at your heartstrings. There’s always a tear jerking section of Love your Garden which involves Alan taking some time to discuss with the garden owner what a new garden will mean to them. As hedging suppliers, we realise that gardens can sometimes be sentimental and link to our emotions – they stimulate our senses in many ways and their very existence is good for our overall well-being.
In 2013, Hedges Direct became involved with this Alan Titchmarsh show, supplying a rather large quantity of mature Cherry Laurel hedging to plant in a garden in the Midlands.
Then again, during the Love your Garden 2014 series, we were asked to supply more hedging for the show, which included:
- 26m of mixed native instant hedging for a wildlife garden at a hospice in Luton and, for this same garden, we also supplied a large quantity of English Lavender plants for path edging. One of our sister companies, www.beefriendlygardenplants.co.uk also became involved in this makeover, supplying a large selection of perennials for mass planting in borders
- A gorgeous mature Japanese Maple tree (actually this was supplied by our other sister company www.ornamental-trees.co.uk)
- Portuguese Laurel hedging (again mature) for a garden in Burton on Trent
- Box hedging plants for a front garden project that was an extra surprise for the owners of a garden in South London
- Ilex crenata to demonstrate how it can be used as an alternative to Box hedging
Everything we contributed towards Love your Garden was supplied completely free of charge. We are proud to be associated with such a heart-warming programme, and over the moon to see Alan Titchmarsh planting our stock.
We hope all the 2013 and 2014 gardens are doing well with our hedging plants as integral elements of the designs and we’re now looking forward to the new series this summer. To take part in the programme, or nominate someone that you think deserves an Alan Titchmarsh garden makeover, find the Love Your Garden application here.